The National Mental Health Institute, Dhaka (NMHI) was established On April 15, 1949, with the aim to help those with mental illnesses and to raise awareness about mental health issues.
The biggest institute of its kind in the country is located in the capital city of Dhaka, where it houses a range of facilities, including a psychiatric hospital, a training school for nurses, and a research and training center. The NMHI has a number of facilities, including a psychiatric hospital, a training school for nurses, and a research and training center.
National Institute of psychological state (NIMH) is that the only national-level psychological state institute in Bangladesh. NIMH is found within the capital city and provides specialized psychological state care services for the entire population. This is also called Dhaka Mental Hospital.
Objectives of NMHI
- Provide support to the Inpatient and Outpatient Departments.
- To produce competent, independent practicing psychiatrists who have the power to steer interdisciplinary teams altogether in clinical settings.
- Professional and allied health care provider training within the field of psychiatry, psychotherapy, psychiatric welfare work, and psychiatric nursing.
- Expansion of psychological state services at the community level.
- Social and occupational rehabilitation of psychological state patients.
- Research in behavioral sciences.
It had been inaugurated by the Honorable Prime Minister of Bangladesh, Sheikh Hasina, and before that, from 1981, it had been functioning because of the Institute of psychological state & Research.
Do you want to get rid of your present mental illness? We know how painful when someone has a mental illness. You can easily get confidential online or offline psychological counseling from a professional psychologist at affordable cost: Clinical & Counseling Psychologist, Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Services and fees
NIMH provides the following services to the peoples,
Indoor Services and fees
A total of 200 beds is there within the inpatient department of the hospital. They have 70% are nonpaying bed and 30% are paying bed. One hundred twenty beds are allocated for a male patient, and 80 beds are given for a female patient.
- Admission time for inpatient 8:00 am to 2:00 pm (every working day) from their patient department;
- Admission fee for nonpaying bed only 15/- (fifteen) taka;
- Rent for paying bed Tk. 275/- (two hundred seventy-five) just for every day;
Inpatient admission under the department of:
- Adult psychiatry unit;
- Child Adolescent and family psychiatry Unit;
- Geriatric and Organic Psychiatric Unit;
- Community and Social Psychiatry Unit;
- Forensic Psychiatric Unit;
- Psychotherapy, psychotherapy and Psychiatric welfare work Unit;
- Addiction Psychiatry Unit;
Outdoor Services and fees
NIMH features a fully functioning outpatient department. Within the year 2019, 58846 patients were provided services within the outpatient department.
- Outdoor service is provided from 8.00 am to 2.30 pm (except Friday and Govt. Holidays);
- Ticket price of outside service Tk. 10 (ten) only;
The primary OPD services are:
- New patient treatment;
- Follow up treatment;
- Referral patient management from another institute;
- Selection of patients for psychotherapy, psychometrics, and counseling;
- Quote of the Admissible Cases;
- Research work.
Emergency Department / Services and fees
This hospital has an emergency department. Following are the services of the emergency department,
- 24 hours emergency services (Friday and another government holiday);
- For any working day, their emergency services open at 2:30 pm to 8:00 am (next day);
- Admissible case referred for inpatient observation from the emergency department (if needed);
- Ticket price for emergency service Tk. 10/- (ten) only.
The state-of-the-art medical facility is found within the heart of the capital city Dhaka, at Sher-E-Bangla Nagar, and employs over 300 personnel to provide the services to the patients. Because the largest teaching mental hospital in the country, NIMH trains a subsequent generation of psychiatry, psychology, and medicine leaders while maintaining attention on research activities and psychological state policy formation. NIMH is a component of the Directorate General of Health Services, one among the institute under the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare of the Bangladesh Government.
National Institute of Mental Health (NIMH),
Address: Sher-E-Bangla Nagar, Dhaka-1207.
Phone: +880258153975 (Telephone), +8809111362 (Fax)
You May Also Like: